Rivotril (clonazepam) is a benzodiazepine medication that’s often prescribed to people who have epilepsy or some other kind of seizure disorder. Klonopin is another common brand name for basically the same chemical formula. It is also prescribed for panic disorders.
This medicine belongs to the benzodiazepines family .it is use to reduce anxiety or help induce sleep.
What is Rivotril?
- Changing your antiepileptic treatment may, in rare cases, be accompanied by the recurrence of seizures even if a seizure has not occurred for a long time.
- Prolonged intake, especially in large doses, of drugs from the benzodiazepine family can cause dependence . This risk of dependence is increased in people who have already been addicted to other drugs, substances or alcohol .
- Suddenly stopping this drug exposes you to a withdrawal syndrome : insomnia, headaches, significant anxiety, muscle pain, irritability, restlessness, tingling in the extremities, convulsions . It is therefore necessary to surround yourself with medical advice to gradually reduce the doses and space out the doses, over a period that is all the longer as the treatment has been prolonged.
- This medicine exposes to a risk of falling in the elderly who are used to getting up at night.
- Dosage adjustment may be necessary in the elderly or with hepatic or renal insufficiency .
- Avoid alcoholic beverages: increased risk of drowsiness.
- This medication can induce drowsiness, sometimes intense in some people. This drowsiness can be increased by taking alcohol or other sedative drugs . Driving and using dangerous machinery is strongly discouraged, especially in the hours after taking the medication.